Saturday, July 5, 2014

Vegetarian Mushroom Risotto

My family is not a huge fan of mushrooms.  My mother and one of my brother's can't stand them.  I'm not sure what Noah's opinion of mushrooms is now but he definitely wouldn't eat them growing up.  We did make risotto with summer vegetables on occasion while I was growing up but it was never a family favorite.  I, however, love the dish.  And, now that I am at college cooking for friends who appreciate mushrooms, I can add them to the risotto.  I have previously made this dish with chicken and chicken stock, but, in the interest of my vegetarian friends, I omitted the chicken and substituted homemade vegetable stock.  However, If you are not vegetarian and want this as your main course, adding some cooked chicken with the mushrooms is a good option.

Mushroom Risotto

  • 1 pound arborio rice
  • 1 pound mushrooms, chopped (I used a mix of cremini and shiitake)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 sprig of rosemary
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • 2 cups white wine
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
  • salt
  • pepper
Directions:
Pour wine and stock into a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.  In the meantime, in a large skillet, melt the butter.  Add onions and shallots and cook until they start to soften.  Add garlic, mushrooms, thyme, and rosemary, and cook for another 2 - 3 minutes.  Stir in rice and add enough of the stock and wine mixture to just cover.  Stir continuously until the liquid is almost all gone.  Add another cup of liquid and again stir until it is almost gone.  Repeat until the rice is cooked.

- Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment