Monday, July 14, 2014

French Toast with Strawberry Sauce

This weekend's brunch was French toast.  Growing up, it was never a favorite of mine.  I always thought it was too eggy, and, at the time, I was not a fan of eggs.  Since then I have come to appreciate good french toast.  It is a breakfast classic.  The subtle hint of cinnamon and vanilla compliment the sweetness of the powdered sugar or syrup.  I am particularly fond of french toast with a fruit compote.  There is relatively near my college that sells thick pieces of toast with a wild blueberry compote that is delicious.  I didn't have any blueberries, but I did have a bunch of farmers market strawberries that I needed to use up.  I turned this in to a lovely strawberry sauce to go over my french toast.



French Toast

A good French toast starts with a good bread.  I used a nice white bread but I have previously used cinnamon swirl bread as well.  Other commonly recommended breads are challah and brioche.  You can, however, use whatever you have around the house and still make wonderful French toast.  When it comes to the bread, whatever type you choose to use, you want slightly stale bread.  If the bread is too soft it can start to disintegrated in the egg mixture.

  • 8 thick slices of bread 
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tbsp. butter
Directions:
Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Melt a bit of the butter over medium heat in a skillet.  Dip a piece of bread in the egg mixture.  Let it soak on each side for about 15 seconds.  Place bread in skillet and cook, flipping halfway through, until each side is browned.  Repeat with the rest of the bread.  Serve with powdered sugar and strawberry sauce.

Strawberry Sauce

  • 1 pint strawberries, washed and chopped
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
Combine ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook for 20 - 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries start to fall apart.  Remove from heat and mash some of the strawberries with the back of a spoon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment